Pages

Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Hej and Bonjour!

The Danish Crown

I haven't forgotten you all! Since arriving in Geneva, things have been a little crazy, and we don't have the most reliable internet connection. Things are going well here. It's nice to finally spend some time with the people I spend the majority of my life with (online, that is). So far we've met with the World Health Organization, Doctors Without Borders, United Nations High Commission for Refugees, and the International Committee of the Red Cross. To say it's sort of surreal to be in the headquarters for such big, well-known organizations would be a bit of an understatement. There's not much I could tell all of you about our sessions that wouldn't, most likely, bore you to tears, so you'll just have to take my word that I'm learning lots of great things!




Geneva is so small! We've only been here a few days, and it already feels like we've seen most of the city. I've come to the conclusion that it's nice to visit, but I probably won't ever travel here again. There just isn't a huge sense of history to this place, and you all know how I feel about that. Our days are long- early mornings to make it to meetings and late nights wandering around the city and finishing school work. I'm hoping that tomorrow afternoon I might make it to the art museum to see their current exhibition on Alexander the Great, so fingers crossed for that!

Den Lille Havfrue

To backtrack a little, Copenhagen was better than expected. It was late when we arrived from Reykjavik, and we only had one full day to see the city. Mom and I decided to do a hop-on, hop-off bus tour, simply because we never could've walked to the various attractions we wanted to see in a single day. We made it to Amalienborg Castle, current residence of the Danish Royal Family; the Little Mermaid statue, which honors Denmark's favorite author- Hans Christian Andersen; Rosenborg Castle, a reminder of the vast wealth and influence Denmark once held; City Hall; and Tivoli Gardens, built in 1843 to appease the Danish people, who were on the verge of revolution. There's so much we didn't get to see, and I'm looking forward to making a return trip- hopefully soon!

Sorry for the delayed- and short- post! I wanted to give all of you an update of some sort. I'm not sure that I'll be able to write much over the next week, as the internet doesn't work in our rooms, and we have a curfew at the hostel. Hopefully I can at least get some pictures posted.

Bonsoir!

No comments:

Post a Comment