Pages

Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Hungry Hippos

I suppose I promised you guys a zoo post, and I may have said I'd make it happen about five days ago. Oops. But, better late than never, right? Really, I just wanted a reason to write about the hippos. Because who doesn't love hippos?



Did I mention I really love hippos? My visit to the Budapest Zoo shall be forever engrained in my mind as the moment I got to pet a hippo, actually it's the first time I've ever even seen one in person! (My African safari shall live on as a disappointment in the hippo department.) I also got to pet a baby wallaby, and a zebra. In other words, the Budapest Zoo is brilliant and should you ever find yourself in this lovely city, I'd definitely recommend a visit!

The Zoo was founded in 1866, and is one of the oldest in the world. It sits on the edge of Városliget- city park- and will be celebrating its 150th anniversary in 2016! The Zoo did become quite run down during the War years, and it took more than a little effort to get it up and running in the aftermath of that terrible time. A recent grant of land means that an expansion is in the works, and there is quite a bit of construction going on around the grounds. But you guys didn't come here to listen to me give a history lesson, you came here for the hippos- am I right?




No comments:

Post a Comment